Fwd: [Ubuntu Wiki] Update of "Edubuntu/specs/specs/lucid/ltsp-gui-install" by jonathan

Alkis Georgopoulos alkisg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 05:51:41 UTC 2009

Στις 24-09-2009, ημέρα Πεμ, και ώρα 07:25 +0200, ο/η Jonathan Carter
(highvoltage) έγραψε:
> Hi Alkis
>
> On 24/09/2009 05:31, Alkis Georgopoulos wrote:
> > All the following thoughts are based on the idea that duplicate files do
> > not take extra space on the DVD. If that assumption is wrong, please
> > ignore the mail. :-)
>
> The duplication is actually currently caused by 2 complete systems being
> installable from the DVD. There's an alternate installer (with all the
> debian packages for Edubuntu) AND a squashfs system. So you basically
> have the entire Edubuntu on the DVD twice.

Hi Jonathan,

sorry, I probably didn't express myself right and you misunderstood me.
Let me try this again:

My mail was referring to the squashfs system ***only***. No alternate
installer, no debian packages.

I was suggesting the opposite of what you suggested in your previous
mail:
  * Instead of including the /opt/ltsp/images/<arch> image,
  * to include the whole /opt/ltsp/<arch> chroot tree in the live DVD.

And the duplicate files I was referring to were the chroot files, e.g.
  /opt/ltsp/<arch>/usr/
are mostly duplicates of files found in
  /usr

Why?
 * Because I think it would need a lot *less* space than including the
image. I imagine that it would need e.g. ~30 Mb as opposed to the image
which would need ~200 Mb.
 * To run ltsp live, ltsp-update-sshkeys and ltsp-update-image will be
necessary. It's easier to do that if you have the chroot tree available.
 * Running ltsp-update-image from the live cd puts the result to a
tmpfs, which would make the client booting faster (so the teacher trying
ltsp live would see real boot times, not ultra slow boot times).

Kind regards,
Alkis