Meeting Logs

Ace Suares ace at suares.an
Sun Sep 6 18:44:23 UTC 2009

Hi,

Here is some more information on why I (maybe wrongly) moved the
MeetingLogs. I would appreciate a non-emotional and rational discussion
which would lead to a clear task as how I need approach this issue.

1. /MeetingLogs is an effort to centralize meeting logs, transcripts and
records. It is maintained by the ScribesTeam.

- https://wiki.edubuntu.org/MeetingLogs - the meeting logs page.
- https://wiki.edubuntu.org/ScribesTeam - the Scribe Team page

2. the Scribes team last meeting was 2007 10 29, about two years ago.

- on the page is a link to the irc logs,
http://people.ubuntu.com/~fabbione/irclogs/, which also is sprinkled
throughout our wiki, which is since long not functional. This leads me
to believe that the ScribesTeam is not very active.

- I was going to contact the scribes team though, to see if they can
summarize our future meetings. I would have also discussed the location
of our meetinglogs. I realize now, that I might have better done that
before the moves.

3. The Edubuntu MeetingLogs page is
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/MeetingLogs/Edubuntu

- I changed it's contents to point to our Meeting page, which in turn
directs people to the new meeting logs & records.

- The meetinglogs where structured like this:
- MeetinLogs/Edubuntu
- MeetingLogs/Edubuntu_2007-04-05

So instead of the more logical MeetingLogs/Edubuntu/2007-04-05 they
where each formatted as Edubuntu_2007-04-05

- some of them where formatted like Edubuntu-2007-04-05 so they where
sorting  in the wrong order (hyphen instead of underscore!)
One was formatted like Edubuntu_2007-04-4 which also sorted wrong.. I.E.
the meeting logs where not in chronological order.

4. Contents of the meeting logs.

- some of them where raw IRC logs, like
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Logs/2005-11-23

- some others where summarized logs, like
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Logs/2007-06-06

5. Completelessness.

- From 2007-09-05 till 2009-07-17 there is *nothing*.
- After 2009-07-17 there is only one log written by me (in the new
location).

6. Relationship with MeetingRecords on the Edubuntu Wiki.

- the Edubuntu wiki had a page called MeetingRecords. This was a long
page of summarized meeting logs (not raw logs).

- some of these logs also had a counterpart in
/MeetingLogs/Edubuntu_yyyy-mm-dd as raw logs. Some had not.

- the purpose to have all meeting logs in one place was obviously not
reached, since some logs where to be found in
MeetingLogs/Edubuntu_yyy-mm-dd and others in Edubuntu/MeetingRecords
(which I had already moved to Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Records)

7. What I did....

- I moved all logs from /MeetingLogs/Edubuntu_yyyy-mm-dd to
/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Logs/yyyy-mm-dd, and fixed the out of order
logs by giving them their proper date.

- I also included in each log:
-- a #title (which helps google)
-- an include:
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Includes/MeetingLogs
-- a heading (f.e.  = Meeting November 23, 2005 = )

The include enables us to add some text or a link to ALL meeting logs at
once, for instance, in this case, "This is a log or summary of an
Edubuntu Meeting. Please go to the Meeting Page for more information
about our meetings." This helps people who land on a meeting log trough
a google search and don't really know where to go to. We could add
anything in that include, it will instantly be available to all the
meeting logs.

- Then I took the summarized logs from MeetingRecords. I each gave them
their own page so they are now available as
/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Logs/yyyy-mm-dd.

As noted earlier, some of these summarized meetings had no equivalent in
the meeting logs. Sometimes they had; I merged the summarized meeting
with the raw log if that was available. You can see an example on
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Logs/2006-12-20

- I 'included' all the separate meeting logs into the page
/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Logs and this has the effect that it's one
long (2.5 MB) page that includes all the separate pages.

Adding a new meeting log in /Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Logs/yyyy-mm-dd
will automatically update the long page, without having to edit that
page. It's an autmated include:
<<Navigation(children)>>
<<Include(^Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Logs/.*)>>

Conclusion.

For me the new meeting log structure is more concise then the old one.
All meeting logs that where spread out, wrongly named etc, are now in
one place and easy to find.

There is still the issue of
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/Records/Archive.
These are logs from 2006 backwards, but in a totally different format
then the other logs. It still lists the next meeting as "2006-02-01
12:00 UTC, but it is still TO BE CONFIRMED."

It also mentions the wrong link to the irc logs (fabbione).

I propose to clean it up, and move it to
/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Archive/MeetingRecords and make links from the main
Meeting page to it.

Remains to be discussed the problem of me moving the pages from
/MeetingLogs.

Personally, I think it is no great loss if they are moved away from
there. There is still the page
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/MeetingLogs/Edubuntu that leads people to the
new structure. I strongly doubt that there are any external links
referring to a specific meeting.

In any case, it's possible for me, and I am willing to, make redirects
for each individual page I moved. I would propose to make redirects to
the main meeting page, instead of to the individual logs though, as to
direct people to the more general topic of 'Meetings' instead of the
specific meeting log of let's say 2005-01-08. Form there it's easy to
search for the correct meeting log from the menu at the top of the page
(it lists all dates chronologically), and in any case that also links
MORE meetinglogs then the original pages did. I still think it doesn't
make a lot of sense to create those redirects.

I also want to see if it's possible to contact the scribes team to hear
what they think about it an how they can assist us in summarizing future
meetings..

Please note that the discussion about the use of 'WikiSite' is
independent from this discussion, I'd like to talk about that too, soon.

Sincerely,

Ace