retirement

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 19 16:43:49 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to say briefly that I've decided to "retire" from
Edubuntu development as of the release of Karmic Koala (9.10) on the
29th. It sure has been a great three years working with lots of
fascinating and wonderful people. But even great things must come to
an end at some point and I think my time with Edubuntu has come. I've
finally finished my PhD and am now pursing my career in chemistry.
This leaves me with even less free time. I've also got some "real
life" projects that I need to devote more time to that I've been
neglecting for too long now. Lastly, I think it's time for a new
generation of Edubuntu leaders and contributors to arise. With the new
DVD-based release I think Edubuntu is starting to regain some
developmental footing. What is needed is new enthusiasm, new ideas,
and fresh hands to make it happen.

Between now and the 29th I'll be working on some roadmapping that
might prove useful for future Edubuntu contributors and leaders. I'm
also encouraged by the progress the Edubuntu Council has made and hope
that the forthcoming elections will bring in a new wave of enthusiasm
and contribution to it.

Finally, please consider contributing to Edubuntu if you're not
already. It is a wonderful experience to give back to the community
and make friends along the way. Above all else, have fun with it!

-Jordan (aka LaserJock)