Jaunty (two nics) and local apps - remote CUPS printing does not work

Asmo Koskinen asmo.koskinen at arkki.info
Thu Oct 1 11:29:47 UTC 2009

When printing with Jaunty (two nics) with a direct connected printer
(USB) we can print from local applications.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSPJauntyPrinting

But when printer is remote (CUPS), local applications can't print.

When changing/adding these lines in chroot, printing is possible.

root at ltsp200:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.2 ltsp200
192.168.0.254 server
#
192.168.1.101 ubuntu-studio
192.168.1.102 ubuntu-ltsp5

root at ltsp200:~# cat /etc/cups/client.conf
#ServerName 192.168.0.254
ServerName ubuntu-studio

But we loose them every time, when thin client boots.

And Scott's LTSP manual miss this one:

CUPS_SERVER =

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/ltsp/5.1.50-0ubuntu1

But CUPS_SERVER does not work when there is two nics, chroot has
ServerName = 192.168.0.254

Do we need a RC_FILE kind solution, just like in 'resolv.conf' case?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/347957

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.