State of the Release

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 7 00:13:06 UTC 2009

Hi all!

I hope this email finds you all well and anticipating the next Ubuntu
release in April.

This email has two purposes. The first is to say that I'm needing a
break from Ubuntu/Edubuntu development. Many of you know that I'm
trying to finish my PhD this semester and I really don't have much
time to finish it. I think I've accomplished just about all I'm going
to be able to for the Jaunty release. I know it probably comes at a
bad time in the release cycle but I don't have much of a choice
unfortunately.

Secondly, I certainly don't want to leave everything in disarray so I
thought I'd update everybody on where we're at for the release, what I
can commit to doing, and what the rest of the community will need to
step up and do before release.

Currently In Progress items I'll finish off:
1) ubuntu-edu app bundles. We just need finalized app lists and .desktop files
2) ubuntu-edu-*-extras packages. I have the seeds started and can do
an FFe and upload them *but* I need to know what packages to include.
If nobody gives me a usable amount of packages in the next week or so
I'll probably forget it for Jaunty.
3) Edubuntu Strategy Document draft. It's nearly complete so I'll
finish it off and let the rest of the community hack on it.
4) Remove Edubuntu's usplash package. It's too much to maintain and
not very fitting for an addon

Tasks that should be done before release but I won't be able to do:
1) The edubuntu.org website will need updating for Jaunty
2) The .iso's will need to be tested. If the .isos are not tested the
release manager will *not* release Edubuntu
3) Release Notes and About Edubuntu update
4) Sabayon should really be working for Jaunty
5) Fix as many bugs as possible :-)
6) Anything else you're willing to work on.

That's about all I can think of. If you have any questions or need
some guidance on the items above let me know. I'll still be subscribed
to the list, just not actively developing Edubuntu beyond the items I
laid out. It's been a blast working with you all and I certainly hope
that after I graduate and get some employment that I'll have time to
get back into Edubuntu development.

-Jordan