how about a community script repository?

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 18 19:45:27 UTC 2009

So I was thinking today as I was reading the edubuntu-users thread
about user management scripts that it's a real shame that we aren't
doing more with what Edubuntu users around the world are doing to make
their systems work better/faster/more efficiently/etc. Additionally,
it's very easy for people to reinvent the wheel over, and over, and
over just because they didn't know the tools that other people have
already worked on.

My idea is that maybe we can create a Launchpad project to collect and
distribute this good work by Edubuntu users. The actual scripts can be
put into a bazaar repository where people can contribute to them,
collaborate together, and write some documentation (usually lacking in
personal scripts). We can then promote the script repository on the
wiki/website/user documentation.

The concern would be to make sure that the scripts have some minimum
quality and won't eat people machines, etc. A suggestion would be to
have the "canonical" script repository be owned by the Edubuntu
Members team so they can review contributions for obvious problems. Of
course people would be free to upload their own branches on Launchpad,
but we'd link to the canonical repository. We can write a simple "how
to contribute" howto on the wiki for people who are not familiar with
bazaar.

Any thoughts? Is this a good idea? Would you want to contribute?
Would you use such a repository?

-Jordan