Don't keep Edubuntu dead

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Thu Jul 2 23:58:43 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

In accordance to the IRC conversation I had with some of you , I just
signed the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.

I have a couple of things I want to talk about on the next meeting/this
list/IRC/however you guys see fit:

1) Major wiki clean up / scrap wiki to make sure stuff is up-to-date.
Currently, information for Edubuntu is very, very scattered around many
different pages/sites with varying degrees of maintenance. Mostly, they
contradict each other because rather dramatic changes have been made in
recent (Edu)buntu version which breaks some stuff that was previously
valid. I therefore suggest settings up a scrap wiki as *the* one
definitive place for information to rework old information and make it
work with 9.10. Alternatively, a major wiki cleanup could take place in
the regular wiki.

2) It is of utmost importance to decide whether Edubuntu is to become a
DVD or not. This isn't just a side decision, this is a major hold-up.
Going DVD enables a lot of good stuff which is simply impractical on a
CD. Additionally, Edubuntu should provide an USB image.

3) Decide on a release cycle. Release every LTS? Release every regular
release? Address the target groups' needs properly here. Put together a
practical software package. Maybe take a look at Skolelinux's installer
that lets you choose different profiles (even though I think Skolelinux
is basically in a poorer state than current Edubuntu). This was pretty
much what I thought up as well as it makes sense.

4) Think REAL HARD about integration of management software. There
should be one definitive, profile-based, pre-installed application to do
one thing and that application should do its thing best. For example,
I'd put iTalc on it to give teachers some power.

5) Decide definitive goals for 9.10

6) If I'm to get active revamping the Edubuntu site and cleaning up the
wiki, I'll need some kind of write access.

7) Think about which kinds of management tasks need to be taken care of.
Do applications exist for these? If not, plan these applications out.
For example, is there an application to enable kiosk mode and therefore
disable a restricted user's (student) access to rearranging the desktop?
Is there an application for setting up a user's desktop workspace
without having to login? Is there some way to mass manage users efficiently?

-- Sven-Hendrik Haase