[schooltool-dev] Configuration issues for schools

Tim Holy tim.holy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 15:40:25 UTC 2009

Hi Tom,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Tom Hoffman <tom.hoffman at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Suppose a school is using a different (perhaps proprietary) program for
>> SIS....
>>

> This kind of interoperability is, as you might expect, something that we've
> spend quite a bit of time talking about over the past few years.  There is,
> unfortunately, no great answer to the question.  We've pretty much settled
> on getting people to dump data into spreadsheets or CSV's, which they are at
> least familiar with.

Sounds reasonable to me. The mere fact that you've been putting so much
effort into it suggests to me that you're doing as well as can be hoped.

>> 2. One of my main concerns is supporting schools that use Macs/Windows.
>> Could schools get a single server running Edubuntu, and then have teachers
>> use SchoolTool via a browser no matter what platform they are running? If
>> not, what would you guess is your timeline for supporting Windows & Macs?
>>

> Yes, and using a virtual machine and a standard image is a particularly
> good idea.  The timeline for supporting other host OS's is dependent on the
> demand and realistically how long it takes someone else to do it or pay
> someone else to do it.

OK, for a "serious" solution then I'm getting comfortable with the idea of
requiring that the school simply set up an Edubuntu server.

>  3. Is implementing SchoolTool support for TuxMath the kind of thing you'd
>> consider getting started as, say, a GSoC project for 2009? Would you be
>> interested in finding a student to co-mentor? Or is it too soon, i.e., would
>> it just distract you from the things you really need to be doing?
>>

> Well, if we're doing things right, it shouldn't take much custom work.

That's great news. I will start playing with SchoolTool and suggest to
tuxmath-devel that we look into cooperation

Best,
--Tim