Universe Applications

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 12 15:36:10 UTC 2009

Hi

I've been looking at some applications that are available in universe
that could potentially be included in Edubuntu. Here is an initial list:

1. Anagramarama

A game where you solve Anagrams. It's a good little game that I think
should've been part of Edubuntu a long time ago.

2. Childsplay

Childsplay is written to be more game-like than Gcompris while still
being educational. I think it's friendlier toward younger kids as well.

3. Lletters

Lletters is a very simple app for kids 2 and up. All they have to do is
press a letter or number on the keyboard (or click it with the mouse)
and picture will be displayed with the letter (and sounds with some of
them as well).

4. Lmemory

A memory game. It lacks some good feedback when you actually win the
game, but besides that it's about as good as memory game as the others.

5. Pysycache

A collection of activities based on simple objects, photographies,
numbers and letters with their sounds in different languages. The
activities make children practice on clicking, double-clicking, drag and
drop, moving and identify the mouse buttons.

6. Ri-li

Ri-Li is a game in which you drive a toy wood engine across many levels
and collect all the coaches to win. It asks you a political history
question after each round for bonus points.

7. Vym

Vym is a mind mapping program. It is useful to organize thoughts and do
structure work. In addition to that it has a lot of helpful shortcuts.

8. Blinken

Blinken is a KDE-edu app that we haven't shipped before. It's a memory
game that uses sounds in combination with visual cues.

If you know of any other applications in universe that might be suitable
for Edubuntu, please post them to the list.

-Jonathan