Ed/Ubuntu for Chilean Government Linux project at schools, Edulinux migration.

Mauricio Hernandez Z. mhz at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 21 03:18:44 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I am very excited with the news I am now sharing with you.

Edulinux is an innitiative sponsored by Chilean Government and carried
out by "Universidad de la Frontera" (aka UFRO). Edulinux has been
installed on over 2200 school computers (mainly old pentium pcs from
1997 to 1999).

Edulinux is/was based on Fedora and it uses LTSP. However, they are
now planing to migrating to Edubuntu for both LTSP and worksation
environments, mainly because they've seen Edubuntu continous efforts.

Personally, I was well impressed by the objectives and the commitment
UFRO people has towards bringing Ubuntu to schools.

Last week I had the chance to be part of many discussions held
regarding the plans for 2009, and I am very confident that, if UFRO
gets to convince Chilean Gov. about the benefits of continuing
supporting this project, we'll be able to witness a huge impact on
Chilean education IT plans.

I see great potential here for Edubuntu, as well as for Accessibility,
since I have mentioned to UFRO that there's a lot of development out
there in the repos just waiting to be used and tested, and what a
better way of doing it if not in schools?!

Chilean School policy has become very strong on the emphasis that "we
must provide options to ease the integration of children with
accessibility needs", so UFRO got my message that Edubuntu +
Accessibility packages would be a more powerful argument to convince
the government.

I've taken some photos I'll soon upload to share with you.

In the meantime, there's this wiki page to read more about Edulinux
(thou it's still in spanish):
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdulinuxChile

Cheers,
--
Mauricio Hernandez Z.

[Mail escrito sin caracteres especiales o acentos para evitar
conflictos de lectura entre sistemas]