Creating deb package of MIT's programming environment for kids (Squeak based)

Andrés Monroy-Hernández andres.mh at andresmh.com
Sun Oct 12 18:15:03 UTC 2008

Dear edubuntu developers,

We are looking for volunteers to help us create a package of the
Scratch educational programming environment <http://scratch.mit.edu>
for Ubuntu in general and Edubuntu in particular.  The current
installers (Win/Mac) come with all the necessary elements needed to
run Scratch  (Squeak, some DLLs for Windows) as well as sample
projects and an image+sound library. We would like to have the
equivalent for Ubuntu.

We have been able to get Scratch run on the XO OLPC except for MIDI
support and already have two plugins for Ubuntu that allow users to
use the fullscreen presentation mode as well as a plugin for Unicode
support.

If you want to give it a try, you can probably do this:
sudo apt-get install squeak wget unzip
wget http://scratch.mit.edu/files/WinScratch.zip
unzip WinScratch.zip
squeak Scratch/Scratch.image