dual core

doug vega doug_vega at yahoo.ca
Tue May 20 21:47:47 UTC 2008

I had the same configuration during the 6.04 release and I did not have any problems.  it was not after a routine update that it started hanging up  I was able to fix this problems with the line I added to GRUB
I,ve had the same problem with mint

Manu <manu at ubuntu-fr.org> wrote: Hi,

2008/5/20 doug vega :
> I have a clean new install of LTSP 8.04 on a dual core 386 with 4 gig of
> memory
> but the server hangs just before it starts the x server . it has only
> started X once
> I solved the problem in the past by adding  (quiet splash showopts
> noapc_irq_balance )  to grub  a solution I found in the ubuntu forums but it
> does not seem to be working with the newest kernel
> The time it started X the thin clients started beautifully without any
> glitch
> has anybody had this problem ?

Are you sure this problem is with the kernel/processor ? It's possible
the video card have not a good configuration.

And have you install the kernel linux-image-server for a good memory
control (for 4Go) ? If you have this, and if you have a video card
with driver no-free ATI the kernel server have need the kernel-module,
have you install this ?

Bye
Manu

--