Koha in Repository

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Feb 22 21:17:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:39:18 -0800, Jordan Mantha wrote
> Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > This probably isn't the appropriate list to post this, but it is a start.  Koha seems to
> > be the most widely used open source library software, but no distribution seems to have
> > it in their repository. Is there a possibility that Ubuntu/Edubuntu could be?  Maybe
> > even an option in Ubuntu Server like choosing LAMP or Mail server?
> >
> > Anyhow, I figured I'd just post this here quick and see if I got any feedback.  If
> > anyone could tell me the proper way to request such a thing and which distribution it
> > would be a better fit in please do.
>
> >From a quick glance it at least appears to be "fit" for Debian/Ubuntu,
> having a GPL license. For packaging in Ubuntu there is a wiki page to
> read.[0] For Debian generally you file a Request for Packaging (RFP) or
> Intent to Package (ITP) bug against the wnnp "pseudo" package.[1]
>
> Any other suggestions? We (Edubuntu devel team) have talked about cool
> ways to let people suggest/vote/rate software for Edubuntu but I don't
> think it ever took off. Perhaps a nice wiki page would work in the mean
> time?
>
> -Jordan
>
> [0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages
> [1] http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

Well as long as there is a current procedure that should suffice.  I don't really have a
better idea on how to request packaging, but it does seem a little weird to me to submit
a bug to get something packaged.  However as long as everyone knows that it should work.

I'll look at submitting a bug with some suggestions on packaging this monster.  Someone
who is very familiar with Apache and MySQL along with Koha might want to do this by hand
without pre-packing.  I'm sure that will always be an option just like some may still
like to build a LAMP server from scratch.  But for the newer or less familiar users,
packaged is the way to go until they gain familiarity.

Thanks for the info.

Jim