LDAP libnss issue when booting for LTSP

achandra at linuxpresence.com achandra at linuxpresence.com
Fri Feb 22 20:06:21 UTC 2008

Hello,

In Edubuntu 7.10,

I have been fighting an issue with libnnss that is needed for an
smb-ldap setup per the instructions of on the wiki.

Id did use the smbldap install script located on the wiki that pulls
the necessary packages.

However, the issue is when the system boots it locks up on the klog daemon.
I cannot even enter password and system drops to shell, with no
ability to input the password field.

As a result, I searched the BUG list, and any of the "hacked fixes" dont work.
Changing ldap from s18 to s10 didnt work
adding soft boot yes to the ldap.conf or nsswitch files doesnt work.
I also check for necessary system groups for nvram and klog exist.

SO..any help would be appreciated...as I have TWO systems down now
which dhcp-failover works just fine.

Regards, Akash Chandrashekar