TC boot times

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu May 31 23:32:16 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> I wonder if we could put together a special ltsp chroot which added
> detailed boot timings.  If we could gather a set of these together we might
> be able to see more clearly what's slowing things down.  A wiki page on
> ImprovingLTSPBootTime might be useful to pull data/ideas together.
>
> http://www.bootchart.org/

I found time to have a go at this and and document how it's done so others
can contribute their stats.  We can put it on the wiki if people feel
it's useful.

http://www.hamilton.ie/gavinmc/edubuntu/bootchart.html

We could probably make an ltsp-build-client plugin to do most of it but
hopefully this will help us track down the issues with slow-booting thin
clients.

I've got to say, I don't find the charts too easy to read but I guess maybe
when we see the difference between a quick and a slow machine things may be
more obvious.

Does anyone have suggestions for where to gather the thin client boot
times.  Launchpad, Ubuntu wiki, ...?

Gavin