Packages to add to Edubuntu's 2nd CD

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Wed Jan 10 18:51:23 UTC 2007

Adding my opinion....I personally don't think that Moodle should be on
this particular CD....here's why....

It's an awesome product, don't get me wrong, but it can be quite resource
intensive in a decent sized installation.  Most folks will install Moodle
on a LAMP server.  Installing Moodle on an Edubuntu LTSP server could
cause some MAJOR slowdowns.  I discovered the hard way last year that when
giving a test to a number of students the CPU and RAM can spike VERY
high...bringing everything to a crawl or even "timing out".  Different
functions on Moodle consume different resources, but some are hogs.  As a
result if you had Moodle on your Edubuntu server at the same time you are
serving apps....you'd be in a bit of trouble.  A moodle set up
script....maybe, but Moodle probably IMO be left to the repository or the
server CD of Ubuntu.  That's my $.02