New to Edubuntu

Néstor Amigo Cairo nestorac at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 17:56:42 UTC 2007

The problem, as told, is quite difficult to debug. Can you please attach
some screenshot? Some of those problems are just misunderstood things. As
wireless connections working with graphical tools is something really new to
Linux, then it's easy to get confused by many facts. lspci, lsusb, debuggers
and those tools are useful for some problems, but for the most, it's only
needed to learn how to use it. Maybe there's no problem with the driver
itself, but just some menu is not clear, or some option is not correct, and
there are hundreds of them.

Personally, I take Linux as a pleasant option which is better than other
OS's in many facts, and of course, it's free as in speech, but be patient
about it. Don't expect to get used to it in two days. Having everything
working except wireless thanks to the work of a community, freely, is just a
miracle. It makes Windows look like a[n expensive] toy. But perfect software
is impossible. How much time would be needed for someone to learn Windows?
It will surely pull out Windows from your system in some months, or years,
just like it did for me, take your time and enjoy it. :-)

Greetings.

2007/12/12, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Loh Chin Huat wrote:
>
> > 1) I have 2 partitions, 1 WinXP and the other Edubuntu. By default, the
> > system will boot into Edubuntu if I did not make a selection at the
> > bootup screen. How do I default the bootup to be in WinXP, if not can I
> > lengthen the time for selection so that I have more time to react?
>
> At a terminal (appliactions->accessories) type
>
>         gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> You can change the value "timeout" to lengthen the time you have to choose
> and the value "default" to change which menu entry gets chosen by default.
>
> > 2) I am using Linksys USB Wireless-G adapter (WUSB54G ver 4) to connect
> > to my Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G-SH) to connect to
> > internet. It works without problem in WinXP, even after I have installed
> > Edubuntu. When in Edubuntu, I can see my network name being detected (I
> > have chose to broadcast the SSID for configuration sake). But when I
> > tried to connect to the network with my network key, it just could not
> > get connected. I tried various combination of the requirement of the
> key,
> > 128-bit passpharse, hex, ascii, open system, shared... but just cannot.
> > But my network and other people's network can be seen in the list.
>
> This one's a little harder to debug.  Can you give us the output of either
> lspci or lsusb depending on whether it's an in-built/pc-card (lspci) or a
> usb (lsusb).  This will help us tell what type of card this is.
>
> Gavin

Néstor Amigo Cairo
+34 687 96 74 81
nestorac at gmail.com