why won't this script work in my Edubuntu setup?

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Thu Aug 30 16:59:28 UTC 2007

Jim McQuillan <jam at mcquil.com> writes:
>David,
>
>For some reason, the Ubuntu guys decided that they'd rather use 'dash'
>as the default shell, instead of 'bash'.
>
>I haven't looked closely at your script, but the first thing I'd try is
>changing the first line from:
>
>   #!/bin/sh
>
>to:
>
>   #!/bin/bash
>
>Just to see if that makes a difference.
>
>If it does, let us know.  I suppose it should be reported somewhere that
>there's an incompatibility (If indeed that's the case).
>
>I've had lots of script breakage due to this problem.  It still puzzles
>me why they'd want to stray from the shell that most everyone else uses.
>
>Jim McQuillan
>jam at Ltsp.org

I got it to work.  I tested pgrep -u username and that worked so I
couldn't figure any reason for my script not to work....until I tried
running it with nothing extra.  The usage for my script is    stop
username ....come to find out that in Ubuntu there is a system command
called "stop"   So I moved "stop" back to root and ran /root/stop username
  and it worked fine.  ;-)  Doh!  ;-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School