KDE-Edu and edubuntu

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Sat Sep 30 14:58:51 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am Anne-Marie, the KDE-Edu module coordinator (and founder). I am glad
Edubuntu uses our programs and I would like to work more closely with you all
in order to get feedback from teachers, schools and parents to
1) improve our current applications
2) develop new programs according to your wishes.

A polemic is starting regarding Kalzium as it seems the Edubuntu team is
developing a Kalzium-like for Gnome (Gallium). I find this a bit strange and
I would like to ask you your intentions for the future. Are you going to
duplicate our work (you perfectly have the right to do so) or are we going to
work together in order to offer more educational programs to teachers?
The kdelibs and qt on which the KDE-Edu programs depend are not big
dependencies. GCompris for example is also quite big (if I quote his author,
he said to me GCompris is bigger than Gnome itself). It's already difficult
to have developers doing educational work as most are young and have no
children and prefer working on multimedia for example. Duplicating the
current work would be a waste of time.

I hope you can clarify all that so we (KDE-Edu and Edubuntu) can begin a
partnership if you are interested.

Thanks for your attention,

Anne-Marie