edubuntu for day-care centers, philippines

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 12:38:33 UTC 2006

Hello to all edubuntureros and gcompris users,

Just to give you some updates on my progress on our FOSS PC for day
care centers project, and of course ask a few questions.

The first two units of PC have been given and its currently under
testing inside the volunteers room of our office.  The best seller
games so far for our volunteers are: gcompris' geography game and the
kturles

Unit specs:
CPU Dell gx110
Monitor ADi provista dv-355
RAM 129 mb
Hdd 10 gb

One problem we have encountered so far is that the monitor displays a
"signal  out of range" problem right after the the edubuntu splash
screen.  No worries though because these have been commonly addressed
via the user forums. the solution I tried so far is:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

(did not tinker with conf file yet)

One pc is using the default edubuntu-desktop and another uses xubuntu.
 We will then compare for its usability, speed, etc.

We are also trying to compile resource materials for the project, a
few things we were able to find so far are the following:

2006 Wikipedia CD [1]
CIA World Factbook [2]

I have contacted a number of children's websites for offline archiving
of their materials.  A few have responded positively but for most
webmaster addresses, I did not get any response as of this time.  I'll
just try others anyway.  We want to focus on Filipino materials but
any thing you think would be important we can always squeeze them in.

Related to this, do you have any suggestion where in my filesystem do
I save these materials? I intend to have these materials accessible to
all users with a read only permission (/usr/local perhaps?)

Cheers,

Maning
----
[1] http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/charity-news/education-cd.htm
[2] https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

--
| __.-._  |"Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great." -Yoda     |