"Thick"clients configuration

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Mon Oct 30 02:14:43 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 10:58:01PM +0100, Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:
> About the "classical" thick terminal, I know they are the converse:
> "powerwul" (how powerful ?), diskless terminals, with applications
> running locally on the clients. How can I configure such terminals on
> the system ?

We have a spec that we'll be discussing at the next Ubuntu Developers
Summit in Mountainview.  I think you're looking for:

https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/ltsp-fat-clients

As well, the local-apps spec, which is closely related:

https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/ltsp-local-apps

Local apps is a midway point between a "fat" diskless client, and a full
diskful workstation.

Cheers!

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "Looking beyond the embers of bridges glowing behind us
Systems Department |  To a glimpse of how green it was on the other side..."