Flash Content & Sys Resources

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Oct 24 19:30:19 UTC 2006

[Dominic Webb]
> My first proposal is that we should get as many GNU/GPL/gnash Flash
> devs to these seminars as possible. This probably will provide, at
> least, the 'in one place meeting' that Petter suggests. We can
> facilitate more meetings and resources after the seminars
> e.g. meeting rooms, IP connections etc and we can probably
> facilitate (an amount of) hotel rooms as well.

This sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm not involved in the gnash
development, so you should wait for the feedback from Rob on this. :)

We have some experience in the Debian Edu project in organizing these
kind of events.  Good network connectivity, a place to stay, a place
to sleep and some place to eat are the requirements.  I believe it is
best to involve the development team very much in the planning and
organization of such gatherings, to make sure they get what they want.
The gatherings are normally done during a long weekend, to make sure
as many as possible can join without having to leave their dayjob for
many days.  The funding required for this kind of gatherings are
travel reimburstment and food.  If one have problem finding a free
place to stay (like universities, sponsoring companies,
municipalities, schools, etc), one can rend a place to stay.  We are
interested in free flash implementations and are willing to help out.

After giving gnash a try for a few months now, I believe its biggest
obstacle is the resource usage.  It will use 100% CPU doing close to
nothing when I try to use it on my 3.2 GHz CPU.  It even make my
firefox browser crawl.  The features set seem to be enough to show the
basic flash animations, but the resource usage make it unbearable to
enable.  I hope the resource usage is high on the priority list of
topics being worked on.  :)

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen