Flash Content & Sys Resources

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Oct 23 16:20:34 UTC 2006

[Dominic Webb]
> If someone puts a proposal together that will result in us being able to
> remove our dependency on the Adobe Flash player then I'll put
> (financial) resources to it.

[Gavin McCullagh]
> If you're up for it, it might be an idea to talk to Petter Reinholdtsen who
> is also interested in this, working as he does on Debian-edu:
>
> 	http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-wnpp@lists.debian.org/msg47904.html
> 	http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/FlashInDebianEdu
> 	http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/gnash

Yes, I am definitely interested in finding a replacement for the Adobe
Flash player and accompanying horrid license.

As far as I can see, the gnash development team are the ones currently
having the best chance of making it possible.  It is mostly a question
of spending development resources on it.  After reading the mailing
list for a while, I believe the developers would welcome financial
support.  The list is available from
<URL:http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnash-dev/>.

I see two obvious ways to fund the development.  Either fund
development gatherings, where the active developers get travel and
accommodation covered to meet somewhere to talk and code together, or
pay one or more of the developers to work on gnash, either to finish
some wanted feature, or to just continue doing the great work they are
already doing.

I would suggest talking to Rob Savoye about this.  CC to him.

More info on Gnash is available from
<URL:http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnash> and
<URL:http://tech.netscape.com/story/2006/10/03/oreilly-eurooscon-rob-savoye-of-gnash/>.

Friendly,