disabling username and passwords on clients

Dag Sverre Seljebotn dagss at student.matnat.uio.no
Fri Oct 20 13:53:59 UTC 2006

> Is it possible to configure thin clients so that they boot directly to
> the desktop without prompting for a username or password?

Don't take this as your final answer, it's just my experiences (which
are mostly from Debian, from before Ubuntu, and might be better
solutions now). And this relies on some scripting/sudo/su/X knowledge.

I imagine there is kiosk setups/distros/packages you might look at that
would be easier to set up than this solution.

--

You can enter GDM configuration with the usual GDM configuration tool
and set it to auto-login to a specific account. The problem with this is

Auto-logging into different accounts, one per thin-client, is more
tricky (I think). If you don't want documents and settings preserved
between sessions you can use what we use for our "guest" account setup
(not exactly plug and play, relies on installing custom non-Ubuntu scripts):

http://fredtun.modula.no/ltsp/index.htm

If you want the documents preserved then it would be possible to emulate
the strategy used there (put something early in /etc/X11/Xsession.d that
detects that the username is "thinclient", and change the session to run
as the thin clients name instead, extractable from the $DISPLAY
environment variable).

However, using thin-clients I'd rather set up a shared storage area and
link to it in the template guest profile, than locking the documents to
the physical work place...

// Dag Sverre Seljebotn