So & Linux as a Platform

Richard Weideman richard.weideman at canonical.com
Fri Oct 13 10:35:08 UTC 2006

Hello Simon,

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 07:48 -0400, Simon Ruiz wrote:
> So what you're saying is: Regardless of whether I use the Ubuntu
> or Edubuntu name, I am still an asset to this community (edubuntu),
> and this new space you're developing ?
100%

> Makes sense to me.
Glad to hear.

> I was just feeling a bit useless when I couldn't chime in on
> any of the LTSP speak.
Not all Edubuntu education deployments use LTSP
Not all Edubuntu LTSP deployments are in education
- we've found iCafe's that use Edubuntu LTSP !

> I'll keep an eye out for your announcement!
I've applied for the creation of a new mailing list:
ubuntu-education at lists.ubuntu.com

I'll be mailing these lists to announce it:
edubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com
edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

That will be the start of the space for interaction of:
"people involved in education who use any ubuntu product"

As an Ubuntu Education Administrator, you may not share all of the
technical issues "under the desktop" with this Edubuntu product mail
group.

However you share much in common with the members of this mailing group
in issues that are "above the desktop":
* open source applications
* platform agnostic content
* open source advocacy
* education and ICT

Consider the same for education folk using Kubuntu as a platform.

Again, their (technical) intersection with the Edubuntu groups is not
very high, but they should also share a lot in common with you.

Hence the "Ubuntu in Education" cross-section which will cut across all
of the products.

More soon !

Regards
Richard