Linux as a platform

Simon Ruiz sruiz at mccsc.edu
Wed Oct 11 04:05:43 UTC 2006

There is hope.

Let me tell you why I feel this way.

My state is funding Linux computers in 1:1 computing classroom environments. I see Open Source coming to schools, because I'm on the front lines fighting to give the project a breath, a fighting chance. My battle has been to provide support as a newbie when the established technical support stucture decided this project wasn't worth it, I've so far just been battling to have the computers up and running and all the essential services functional.

I never get enough time to improve the system, recently, but I'm hoping I soon will.

Free software will win this fight, it's just a matter of when. I see the free software coming in sort of like a snowball rolling down a snowy hill--small at first, and maybe slow, but if it can get started it will pick up velocity and mass until it's futile to try to step in its way.

I see free software rolling in, and proprietary content vendors are going to either jump on board or be left behind.

Not EXACTLY related to free, libre, open source software, but I also see big promise in open educational content.

Although I don't see an end to proprietary content creators, I do think they're going to eventually be a supplement to the standard curriculum, not be the bedrock upon which the standard curriculum is built.

And I'll put my own soapbox away for now.

Simón