KDE-Edu and edubuntu

William Kinghorn williamk at dit.ac.za
Mon Oct 2 08:11:21 UTC 2006

Hi All,

You also have, Octaveand Scilab

William

2006/9/30, Susan Addington <saddingt at csusb.edu>:
> Dear Anne-Marie,
>
> I am a teacher (of mathematics) to future elementary teachers, and have been
> investigating the possibilities for open-source software in my classes, and
> my students' future classes.
> Derive
> (the computing engine behind the TIs; I don't use this because it only runs
> on Windows). Maple and Mathematica are much too complex to use for most
> students, and are very expensive.

please give Maxima a try and I suggest wxmaxima as the frontend.

Maxima is the closest free-software to Maple and Mathematica, and just
needs more users, more tutorials, howtos, simple examples and course
ware that use Maxima instead of the proprietary tools.

> There is also a shortage of unified, educationally sound mathematics
> curriculum in many of these areas.

in any field of science this is the same ...

I volunteer to help with that (I am a physics teacher at secondary level)

Regards,

Nicolas

Nicolas Pettiaux - email: nicolas.pettiaux at ael.be