SV: [SPAM] Re: multiple thin client servers

Mattias Hemmingsson matte at ahavaxthuset.se
Thu Nov 23 15:13:08 UTC 2006

Hi !!

We are now testing out skolelinux with new edu 6.10 to get them to work
together.

But skolelinux don’t have any solution to cluster edu servers.
And ltsp-mosix is too old to use.
To cluster server I'm looking at LVS to load balance the servers.
And then Webmin to cluster the server so package and shell scripts are the
same on all servers.

This mean that you can run update and run scripts on one server and the
other server in the cluster will follow.

And the LVS balance the load of the server and if one server goes down the
other will step in.

-----
-----

|-----------------
| 		|	| (edubuntu) LDAP/samba/home dirs/mail/ftp/www
192.168.0.2

|------------------
|		|	|(edubuntu)LOAD BALANCER 192.168.0.3
|		-------
|		   |
(edubuntu)TERMINAL SERVER 2
|		   |________________________________________________________
|				|	|
|	|
|				|_____|(edubuntu)TERMINAL SERVER 1
|	|

|_____|

|__________________________
Switch to thin clients

The clients boot to server ip 192.168.0.3 and the loadbalnce sends the
request to one of the terminal servers.
The next request to ip 192.168.0.3 is sent to the other terminal server.

The terminal server is connected to together with webmin so if you update
terminal server 1, terminal server 2 will also be updated.

So the clients only se one server 192.168.0.3
And if you want to upgrade you can only install one more terminal server to
the loadbalance.
And then only set the clients to the switch.

// matte