multiple thin client servers

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Thu Nov 23 06:22:59 UTC 2006

> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:37:32 +0000
> From: Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh at gmail.com>
> Subject: multiple thin client servers
> Hi,
> has any work been done or is there any documentation on how best to deploy
> multiple thin client servers.  I'm thinking in terms of if you have need
> for several thin client servers how you would:

Fiesty Edubuntu will configure and use Samba/LDAP to manage users, so
adding a second server will require an NFS mount and an LDAP client
configuration. (This will not in itself take care of LDAP replication,
which will require manual setup in Fiesty.)

> Does anyone already do this?  Are there any such docs?  Is this a crazy
> thing to try to do?

Not at all a crazy thing; I maintain two schools that have two LTSP
servers each. In both cases we're using Samba/OpenLDAP and NFS, and
the randomness of DHCP determines which LTSP server handles each thin
client.

As far as docs, there's not too much I know of at this point. If you
know how to configure LDAP & NFS you're all set. If LDAP is too
intimidating you can try the Samba/LDAP installer I've worked on,
though reading and following Chapter 6 of Terpstra's "Samba 3 By
Example" would be better (because you'll learn how it works :).
http://majen.net/smbldap/

Be warned that libnss-ldap has problems in Edgy; don't try LDAP in
edgy until that's fixed.
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/libnss-ldap/+bug/51315

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/