sound on clients

Philipp Schröder philipp at din15.org
Wed Nov 1 07:36:44 UTC 2006

Hi James,

James Call wrote:
> I have upgraded to edgy on my edubuntu server at home.  I have a
> laptop that also has a edubuntu install.  When I boot the laptop from
> the hard drive the sound works great. (too great, because my teenagers
> have blown the speakers listening to MP3's) But when I boot the same
> laptop as a client off my server I get no sound.  The sound on the
> server works.  When I play a mp3 or other sound from the client, the
> sound comes out the server speakers.  Has anyone else seen this??

I had the same problem after upgrading my Edubuntu server to Edgy at
first. It got it working, after recreating the client chroot, as
outlined on this page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdubuntuLTSPUpgradeNotes

Thus, I did

Additional step (backup of the chroot, just in case):
# sudo cp /opt/ltsp/i386 /opt/ltsp/i386-bak

# sudo rm -rf /opt/ltsp/i386
# sudo ltsp-build-client
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -pcritical edubuntu-artwork

The following steps maybe don't apply to you. Since I had edited my dhcp
configuration to work with another IP range manually on the Dapper
installation, I now needed to change that again manually too. Press
ALT+F2, then type

gksudo "gedit /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf"

... into the window. Find and replace the IP range ... save and close.

# filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
# sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart

After I confirmed that my new chroot worked, I removed the backup one.
# sudo rm -rf /opt/ltsp/i386-bak

Please note that the above assumes that you are running an i386 machine.

HTH,
Philipp

--

Philipp Schroeder
DIN15 / Information Architecture & Interaction Design
www.din15.org, philipp at din15.org