Live CD--possible uses and questions

Susan Addington saddingt at csusb.edu
Tue May 2 22:12:34 UTC 2006

Hi,

It's me, the curriculum person again.

I tried the Live CD (6.06)  on my (laptop) Mac, and have some questions.

I'm thinking of using some of the edubuntu software in my Math for
Elementary Teachers course next year. The live CD might be a
convenient way to use the software on whatever computer the students
have available without having to download and install programs. Many
of my students do their work on a computer at their job, or one that
is shared by family members; they can't just install a new operating
system. Or some have their own computer, but have files and programs
that they need to use in their current OS.

However, here are some things that didn't work "out of the box". My
Mac has a wireless card, and normally it will connect to any open
network it can find. I couldn't find any easy way of configuring the
network settings so that I could use the connection. (And I couldn't
connect to the web to search for help!)

Various of the programs claimed to save files to /home/ubuntu/, but
afterwards I couldn't find any such place on my hard disk. Presumably
it didn't actually save anything. Is there a way to save to, say, a
USB flash drive?

My impression of the software included in edubuntu is that it's a
mixed bag of stuff at wildly different levels. I would be interested
in somehow producing a custom CD, with just the things I think my
students will need. Of course it's possible, but is there a way an
amateur could do it easily?

Susan Addington
Cal State San Bernardino