thin client almost there... but not quite

john at pblj.net john at pblj.net
Fri Mar 31 21:52:36 UTC 2006

I'm still having trouble. Here's where I'm at.

I wiped my Edubuntu install, installed Ubuntu Breezy, did some tinkering
and got a Dell dimension 800MHz client to logon as a thin client.
However... when I try to use my 166MHz, 128MB, old, beat up machines
(which I want to use as clients) they load the kernel then try to produce
a GUI login, but then dump me back to a command line login prompt which
won't accept any of the usernames and passwords.

I'm guessing that this has something to do with the graphics cards in
those old computers. Any ideas? I'm guessing a lts.conf file might help,
but I'm unsure what variables to include in lts.conf and what values to
set them to. Help...

John