null password and screen "lock" issue

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Fri Mar 24 18:50:18 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 12:40:07PM -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

:If you don't mind the screen never locking, you could just change
:/etc/pam.d/xscreensaver to contain a single line:
:
:  sufficient pam_permit.so

so, unsurprisingly to me this doesn't work.  I say unsurprisingly
because I'd alread set common-auth to be:

auth	required   pam_unix.so nullok

and the only line in pam.d/xscreensaver was
@include common-auth

Other services are accepting the null passowrd (like gdm and
login, I have exceptions for network services like sshd), so it really
seems like an xscreensaver bug at this point.

Thanks,
-Jon