Mailing list name

Dan McGarry it.psl at fsp.org.vu
Thu Mar 16 04:46:10 UTC 2006

Jonathan Carter wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 11:17 +0200, Jane Weideman wrote:
>
>>The reasoning was to create the devel channels first, and if when the
>>traffic grew to big to manage we would spilt the user support and
>>discussion off.
>
> I remember that, yes. What I discussed with Oli, is that less people are
> subscribing, because they see the list as a -devel list such as
> ubuntu-devel and debian-devel, and not a support list. I've communicated
> with many people who haven't joined the list yet, because of this
> perception.

Seconded. I subscribed with the expectation that I'd see a bunch of
developers conversing. In fact, lists.ubuntu.com explicitly states
"Edubuntu developer discussion":

I should also note that I think the decision to start with only one list
is a good one. It improves the sense of community and helps to avoid the
(somewhat false) distinction between users and developers.

To sum up, this seems to be a 'truth in advertising' issue, if you will,
and not 'whither Edubuntu?'

> I don't think so. I suggested to Oli that we get an additional
> 'edubuntu' list. He suggested that we rename the current one instead,
> which would make sense, since he'd be on the 'normal' list anyway :)

That seems like it would resolve the issue fairly easily.

Dan McGarry	it.psl at fsp.org.vu

IT Consultant
Community Communications Project