Website progress

Jane Weideman janew at hbd.com
Wed Mar 15 10:40:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 11:17 +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> Hi Jane
>
> On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 11:04 +0200, Jane Weideman wrote:
> > What I have seen so far look pretty good, and once the colour selection
> > are in it will look even better.
> >
> > Are you going to publish a link for people to review and crit it?
>
> Yes. At the moment it's fairly pointless, as we have just about got our
> static content from the current site. On the theme side, we're halfway
> between our current theme, and the spreadfirefox theme, so it looks very
> ugly, to open it up for crit right now would mean that we would just get
> a big bunch of pointless e-mails telling us how ugly our site is :)

heh, ok point taken :)

> We should be ready for comments by the end of next week. By then we
> should have some fun stuff to show, as well.

Great.

> > Good, yes it is important for the site to stay dynamic, up to date and
> > relevant. It will help to draw ppl to the site and our community and
> > will hopefully hook them in. With any luck that will encourage them to
> > participate and hopefully help us with the updates and developments.
>
> Yes, and even small things like a banner that shows some advice or cool
> information about Edubuntu that changes daily, can make the site
> interesting. There's quite a few things like that we'll be implementing.
> Watch this space :)

Yay, I was hoping to implement the fortune cookie banner on the current
wiki, but there was some technical constraint. I had spent some time
gathering interesting and inspiring education quotes to be listed
randomly...
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/FortuneCookies

> > > We originally proposed that we launch the new website on a day or two
> > > before the Dapper release. If the dapper release is postponed, I suggest
> > > that we stick with our old launch date, rather than postponing it
> > > together with the release.
> >
> > I agree, I don't see the sense in waiting a further 6 weeks to launch,
> > and since there is a lot of anticipation for an April release, let's at
> > least have a new site to show, if nothing else.
>
> Great! If we're not going to aim for the launch anymore, then I'd even
> be happy to launch sooner than 20 April, once the Edubuntu community
> approves the new site.

Ok well let aim for on or before 20 April.

...is this going to need a cake?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13916877@N00/52389874/

--
JaneW