Website progress

Jane Weideman janew at hbd.com
Wed Mar 15 09:04:26 UTC 2006

Hi Jonathan,

Firstly Jonathan and Phillip thanks so much for taking the reigns on
this, it is much appreciated.

I have no doubt that we are going to launch a rocking new site \o/

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 09:56 +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> I won't be able to make the meeting at 12:00 UTC today, have another
> appointment at the same time :/

Understood, and thanks for the early feedback. I will raise this at the
meeting, in case any discussion is required.

> Pips1 and I discussed the website progress on Monday evening, he can
> fill in on the details, if he's available.

Phillip will you be attending the meeting this week?

> On the progress, the largest delay is over, and we've basically just
> started last week.

It's great to see some action finally. I know there has been background
work and several other delays in the start-up, so you guys weren't just
twiddling your thumbs, but still it's nice to actually SEE something. ;)

>  Getting the static information from our current html
> pages is quite easy, the bigger challenge is getting a nice balance in
> our theming, we don't want to loose the 'boldness' and 'quirkiness' of
> our current site, yet we would like the theme to be more secure.

Yes, as discussed with you yesterday Jonathan, I think one of the
attractions of our site currently is it's fun, bold and young look, so
we don't want to lose that completely. But we do want to mature a bit
and get a bit tighter and more structured.

What I have seen so far look pretty good, and once the colour selection
are in it will look even better.

Are you going to publish a link for people to review and crit it?

>  Then we
> have some plans around access control and getting more dynamic content
> on the site, and to give users more reason to visit the site.

Good, yes it is important for the site to stay dynamic, up to date and
relevant. It will help to draw ppl to the site and our community and
will hopefully hook them in. With any luck that will encourage them to
participate and hopefully help us with the updates and developments.

> By the end of next week, a large chunk of the theming should be done,
> our total status would be +/- 20% done, from there it should double to
> 40% the next week, and then we would just apply finishing touches in the
> two weeks after that.

That sounds good.

> We originally proposed that we launch the new website on a day or two
> before the Dapper release. If the dapper release is postponed, I suggest
> that we stick with our old launch date, rather than postponing it
> together with the release.

I agree, I don't see the sense in waiting a further 6 weeks to launch,
and since there is a lot of anticipation for an April release, let's at
least have a new site to show, if nothing else.

> If there's any direct questions I will be available in #edubuntu after
> 16:00 UTC.

Thanks.

JaneW

--