[Fwd: Re: Dapper Sound]

Alistair Crust alistair at skegnessgrammar.org
Tue Mar 14 09:25:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 17:54 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 13.03.2006, 17:27 +0100 schrieb Oliver Grawert:
> > -------------------------
> > [Default]
> > 	SERVER = 10.35.191.30
> > 	XSERVER = auto
> > 	SOUND = Y
> > 	SCREEN_02 = shell
> > 	SCREEN_07 = startx
> > -------------------------
> is there any particular reason that you set XSERVER to auto ? (its
> automatically detected by default)
> also what kind of customized Xsession setting do you want to run by
> setting startx for SCREEN_07 ?
> note that by default console 1-6 are text consoles anyway and that by
> default ldm starts on terminal 7, there is no need to set either in
> lts.conf
> is your desktop server different from the server you use to start the
> clients from ? else this setting isnt needed as well...
>
> please try with the following lts.conf:
>
> -------------
> [default]
> 		SOUND=Y
> -------------
> it should give you working sound (if the client has a soundcard we can
> detect (98% of the cards out there))
>

> > tty=/dev/tty2
> > root at ltsp:/#
> > Ubuntu 6.04 "Dapper Drake" Development Branch ltsp tty2
> >
> > ltsp login:
> >
> as i said several times before, the thin clients dont have any local
> logins enabled, they are using read only filesystems, their only purpose
> is to start the X server (and esd if wanted) and run ldm ...
>
> if the lts.conf above doest get you sound working, please file a bug
> against ltsp so i can track it...
>
> ciao
> 	oli

ok, so I try above lts.conf. No sound. the system>preferences>sound
shows no sound-card other than the via8237 in the server.

How do I go about gathering the specific information needed for filing a
bug? (Can I remind you I've been thrown in a the deep end here, but I
like it. It just means I've got to learn things and learn them fast.
speculate to accumulate and all that)

I'll try the suggestions on the other posts too, in a little while.

I think I'll rip a pci sound card out of a spare machine we have. Do you
think that will work if i place it in the client and disable sound on
the bios?

--
Kind regards
Alistair Crust