The Antonio Pizzigati Prize For Software in the Public Interest

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 8 18:40:36 UTC 2006

Hey all...  I thought folks might want to take a crack at this.

From the web pages at http://www.pizzigatiprize.org/

OUR MISSION

Software developers who create, for free public distribution, open source
applications and tools that nonprofit and advocacy groups can put to good
use are making a two-faceted contribution to social change.

These developers are first, of course, having an important practical
impact. Their software can help nonprofits become more effective, on a
daily basis, and build their capacity to better inform and mobilize their
constituents.

But public interest software developers have a broader role to play as
well. The ideals of public interest computing, as they have evolved inside
the open source movement, promote collaboration and sharing. Against the
idea that progress demands cutthroat competition, by individuals striving
to get ever richer, these developers model the notion that we all benefit
when we work together.

This commitment to collaboration and sharing, in the continuing struggle
for a better world, is exactly what the Pizzigati Prize seeks to honor.

      [This message is digitally signed with the GNU Privacy
      Guard (GPG). See http://www.gnupg.org/ for more info.]

 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7
 Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team     |     WWW: http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/
 Washington, D.C.  (USA)       |   Phone: +1.202.234.0213

  ". ! 1 |"  -- René Magritte