Ubuntu on Vancouver Island, Canada

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 00:41:32 UTC 2006

(cc'ing Edubuntu-devel and Ubuntu-marketing, because much of this is generic)

As some of you may know, I made a contact a while back with the South
Island Learning Community here in Canada, who help Native, education
and non-profits with technology. All of their stuff is Open Source and
their OS of choice is, well, you can guess.

I recently reconnected with them and, Doug, the person I spoke with,
is quite keen to get a pilot project up and going to build a test case
for Edubuntu (and Ubuntu) with the orgs SILC helps. I doubt we can
help  much with the finding of the victim, I mean test subject, but we
can help with laying the groundwork.

Thus, here are some pieces that we need:
1. A case study about Edubuntu - I plan on writing one on the Tuxlabs
in SA with Jonathon Carter
2. Basic ballpark pricing on servers for labs of various sizes (This
is really only something the Ubuntu Canada team can help with)
3. A common objections with answers sheetm (Its not windows, etc)
4. A sheet that details mimimum system requirements for servers, thin
clients and standalone machines
5. A howto on recycling older machines for thin clients and standalone machines.
6. A rad features/value of Edubuntu sheet (security, etc.)

I suggest we get working on the wiki and move various pieces to
various places as needed (into Scribus, etc.)

Comments?

Cheers,

Corey