Printing problem

Hendrik Boshoff hfvb at ing.rau.ac.za
Tue Jan 31 13:12:14 UTC 2006

I connected an HP Laserjet 1000 to our Edubuntu server using a USB
cable. It was immediately detected by the system, and the drivers were
installed. However, it does not work.

The test page is reported as sent, but nothing happens on the printer.
The logfile of CUPS shows the page being processed by filters, and ends
with a message telling me "PID xxxx stopped with status 1!"

I have added myself to the group lp, but it does not help.

A similar problem has been reported on ubuntuforums.org, without any
response.

An older HP Laserjet 6L worked without any problems in a test setup, but
my current server does not have a parallel port!

Is there a problem with some printers in Breezy? Is there a patch or
workaround? Is it due to be fixed in Dapper? I suppose I have become
used to hardware Just Working, so this is a comedown.

Thanks

Hendrik Boshoff