One user account - many logons; strange behaviour

Hendrik Boshoff hfvb at ing.rau.ac.za
Fri Jan 20 11:54:14 UTC 2006

So we've got 40+ thin clients running off the Edubuntu server
at Unika, but I still need to find/write a script to create
300+ user accounts taking comma separated variables from a file.

In the mean time, everyone simultaneously logs on to the same
account.

This works fine for most games, but not at all for OpenOffice.
The first client machine that opens Writer for example, gets
the window as expected. If I try to open Writer on another client,
it unexpectedly opens a second window on the first machine. Then,
launching any OpenOffice application from anywhere with the same
username, creates another window on the first machine to have
done so.

This may be a feature of OpenOffice, but it precludes using one
login multiple times.

Secondly, sometimes, an application on the thin client repeatably
does not finish launching. It shows the little message at the bottom,
but when that disappears, nothing further happens.

Is this a known bug? Which log file can I check for messages?
No Gnome error message appears on the screen, contrary to what
I would have expected.

Thanks.

Hendrik Boshoff