Edubuntu: some observations

Dan McGarry it.psl at fsp.org.vu
Wed Jan 11 05:12:05 UTC 2006

Mauricio Hernandez Z. wrote:

>>I run an NGO (www.krittibas.org) which works in rural education sector
>>in India. We have established small IT setup with four donated PCs for
>>the rural students in a village named Fulia.
>
> I am trying to start a NGO too here in Chile, with similar goals.

I've been working for the last few years doing the same in LDCs in the
South Pacific.

We just might have quorum to start a development-related Ubuntu mailing
list or some such. Some technical issues are particular to development.

>>After a week or so both these machines turn so slow that it becomes
>>virtually impossible to run any application. So we do a fresh
>>installation, but then again the problem repeats.
>
> Gnome is a very 'expensive' desktop, I would not recommend it for such
> hardware you mention.

It seems like Raj is saying that the machine starts slow, and gets
slower, which points to two problems. FWIW, I've got standard Breezy
running just fine on my Celeron 466 with 128 MB RAM.

>>3. We do not have any internet connection and there is no possibility
>>of having fast internet connection in near future in the areas we have
>>been working. Under such circumstances its next to impossible to run
>>any other application like wine.
>
> WINE is also extremely expensive in terms of HW, afaik.

I suspect he's referring to how expensive it is to download, and not how
hard it is to run. Could be wrong, though. 8^)

Dan McGarry		it.psl at fsp.org.vu

IT Consultant
Community Communications Project