Final Call for Open Source Presenters at NECC 2006 (also looking for students!)

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 16:23:42 UTC 2006

NECC, the National Educational Computing Conference, the world's
largest educational technology conference for teachers and technology
coordinators, is being held in San Diego this summer:  July 5 - 7.

We have two unique opportunities to present Free and Open Source
Software solutions for schools.

First, we will have a 20-computer lab running Linux thin client that
will be used as a hands-on presentation area, complete with microphone
and projector.  The presenters in this area will have 1-hour time
slots concurrent with the overall larger show sessions, *and* will be
included in the official NECC program listings.  There are 13 of these
1-hour slots, of which three or four are not spoken for at this point.
 If you are interested in presenting during one of these time slots, I
need to hear from you this week so that I can give you instructions on
submitting your proposal online by this coming Friday.  Please contact
me directly.

Second, NECC is providing us with a "playground" center.  This is a
set of 6 booths where particular products or technologies can be
showcased continuously.  These are available during the whole show,
and will need to be staffed the whole time.  I'm thinking we could
have booths for:  Open Office, SchoolTool, Edubuntu/Ubuntu, Moodle,
Blogging, Python, MySQL, Mambo/Joomla, ?  These would be perfect for
students to come and help man the booths and answer questions.  I
think this is a wonderful addition to what NECC has provided in the
past.  We don't have the same Friday deadline to make these
arrangements, but I would like to hear back quickly from those who
would be willing to come and help manage a booth.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Steve

--
Steve Hargadon