No ethernet autoconfiguration during installation

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 13 14:33:31 UTC 2005

hi,
On Di, 2005-09-13 at 16:17 +0200, Ricardo Pérez López wrote:
> I'm trying to install Edubuntu Preview 5.10.
>
> I know Ubuntu try to autoconfigure ethernet connection using DHCP during
> installation. But Edubuntu doesn't try to find out a DHCP server to
> autoconfigure. Instead, it ask me to enter the IP address manually.
>
> Is it intentional?
yes, since the default install is a stadalone server install, we cant
assume that a dhcp server is around.

the installer should provide a deault value for the IP address, but due
to a bug we found building the preview CD we needed to disable this
feature... its solved now and will be enabled in tonights build again.

the standalone workstation install behaves like a normal ubuntu install
wrt IP adresses/dhcp.

there are some notes on: http://www.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuTesting

ciao
	oli