Preview release - "One or more packages failed to install".

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 12 18:01:23 UTC 2005

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 11:38:28PM +0100, Rick Fitzsimmons wrote:
> 1. No default for IP address. I chose 192.168.1.254 to fit into my
> existing network.

It should default to 192.168.0.x, to match the default dhcpd configuration.
(bug)

> 2. Prompt to configure the dhcpd.conf file specifies the /etc/dhcp3/
> directory, but this should be /etc/ltsp/ (as far as I can see).

No such prompt should ever be displayed during installation.
(bug)

> 3. Base system configuration gave an error saying "One or more packages
> failed to install". The supplied dhcpd.conf file (in /etc/ltsp/) defines
> a range for a subnet on 192.168.0.0. If the server's IP address is not
> on this subnet, then the dhcp server fails to start, and
> ltsp-server-standalone can't get configured. I edited the conf file, ran
> "dpkg --configure ltsp-server-standalone" and it now seems to work.

If we're going to prompt for an IP address during installation,
then the dhcpd.conf needs to be generated, rather than static.
(bug)

> 4. Minor stuff: During startup, "Setting up general console font" fails,
> and reverts to text-mode.

The former is not related to the latter.  If it is reverting to text mode,
it is a different issue (and we need to know at which step this happened;
most likely a particular step took longer than 15 seconds).

> Also, DHCP info might be daunting for
> semi-technical users (eg specifying network interfaces, instruction to
> edit the dhcpd.conf file, warning about default being non-authoritative
> etc.)

Bugs.

--
 - mdz