edubuntu workstation test - Localisation problems 1: changing keyboard layout difficulties

Philipp Schröder philipp at din15.org
Wed Sep 7 18:12:06 UTC 2005

Even though I set keyboard to 'Swiss German' during the installation, I
got an 'English' keyboard map. (I think this problem existed in Hoary
already).

But now, setting your keyboard layout under 'System > Preferences >
Keyboard' is buggy.

Even if one has changed the language successfully, the changes become
ineffective on logout - even though the setting in the menu still
displays 'Switzerland German' as a default.
It takes some strange fiddling about to get it to work. I need to add
the keyboard 'Switzerland German' a second time. Then I mark the new
"S.G." as 'default', "move it up" in the ordering, and then delete the
first 'S.G.' and then it works (?!), until the next logout, that is!
Very annoying, indeed. :-(

(Oliver, do I need to report these two to Ubuntu upstream? Where? The
user mailing list? Wiki? Bugzilla?)

--

Philipp Schroeder
DIN15 / Information Architecture & Interaction Design
www.din15.org, philipp at din15.org