Edubuntu/ Chilean Tour

Mauricio Hernandez mhz.chile at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 15:43:57 UTC 2005

I have just posted this on ubuntupeople.com forum. And i thought that
maybe i should also post this here because many of you may not be
registered there.
---

I am part of a small work group called Tecnocimiento [1]. We feel very
commited to help improve the way current educational system works in
Chile and Latinamerica.
We strongly believe that Free Technology (free as in freedom) is one
way to do so.

The Edubuntu Tour we are planning (so far, still planning phase)
should start in December, 2005. Basically, our idea is to have a
series of events to which we'll invite teachers and students, mainly,
of as many different realities as posssible:

 * income (there's a wide range of differences and options here)
 * geographical (Chile is very long and has diff climates. In some
regions, kids usually have to walk over 5 kilometers to get to school
and sort many obstacles)
 * orientation (we have many schools that provide basic technitian
level degrees)
 * many old-traditional-system teachers are just reticent to innovate
or even provide kids with technology because teachers can't use a
computer, i.e.
 * etc.

So, as there are several needs, and therefore motivation and
priorities change, we think we should prepare material we can use
either to re-motivate students and teachers, and to detect who
(teachers) and where IT tools will be appreciated and cover some
needs.
We would like to identify a teacher profile who will definately refuse
to try new tols, and also the one who will help us spread the word and
motivate his collegues.

The fisrt tasks we are working on are:

 a) A database with Teachers, subjects they teach, amount of students
they teach, infrastructure they have/would like to have, geographical
area.

 b) a Survey to help identify teacher's profile.

We would appreciate your thoughts, questions and ideas about this.

--
Cordialmente,

Mauricio Hernandez Z.

"Hell is repeating someone else's mistakes" (JPS)