Client Load Statistics

Jeff Casimir jeff at commontext.com
Thu Oct 20 10:43:37 UTC 2005

Hey all,

Has anyone done comprehensive load statistics on an Edubuntu setup using
thin clients?  Some of the figures I am wondering about (obviously all
approximate):

- How much data must a client transfer from the server from "power on"
to "ready for login" (total kb)
- What is typical transfer rate between the client and server during the
bootup of a single machine on an otherwise quiet 100baseT network? (kb/s)
- When a client is logged into just the desktop, how much server CPU
power are they using? (%, given clockspeed)
- When a client is logged into just the desktop, how much bandwidth does
the session use? (kb/s)
- When a client has a "typical session" running (say one instance of
Writer, one of Firefox with 3 tabs open, and Eclipse) how are CPU power
consumed (%, given clockspeed) and bandwidth (kb/s) affected?

I am trying to spec out the hardware we would need to run Ubuntu in our
lab, and these statistics would really help.

Thanks for your time,

Jeff Casimir
Teacher / Educational Technology Coordinator
César Chávez Public Charter High School for Public Policy
Washington, DC