terminalserver functions

Reiner Schmid reischmid at gmx.de
Thu Oct 20 06:44:55 UTC 2005

Hello,
next week I will start to use the edubuntu-terminalserver in my
classroom. I also installed a terminalserver for the classroom of my
wife. I like the software very much (language support, educational
software, the newest version of openoffice, the possibility to update
...), but it is still very diffycult or uncomfortable to install and to
use the serverfunctions.

I work with two networkcards, the installation for the cards is not very
clear for a new linux user, but the most teachers have only small
experiences in linux or not at all.

The ltsp-login-manager is awful and also to small on the most monitors.
A pupil is not able to recognize the signs which it had typed in. Would
be there a update in the next time before 6.04? I think this is urgent!

To add users is very uncomfortable. After I have added 7 users at one
time, I noticed the service crashed. No users or their home folders were
added, I had to start it again.

Teachers also need cronjobs (example: automatically shut down the server
at a special time). There must be a simple solution for it, no work in a
terminal to edit it. (Perhaps webmin?)

Profiles: I installed sabayon to create profiles. But it is not adapted
to support german language and some functions didn´t work in such way I
prefer.

The clients-starting-up-process is very slow. Many daemons/services in
the /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/init.d folder start. Are they all necessary? So I
removed the ntpd-Daemon to win some seconds.

I hope you think about your idea to press all the software for the
terminalserver on one cd! Why not two cds or one dvd with all the
necessary server-funktions?

Thanks for your work,
Reiner Schmid

P.S.: A nice network game for a classroom server is imaze. It is easy to
install it on edubuntu-pcs.