thin client how to

Josiah Johnston siah at mac.com
Wed Oct 19 03:20:48 UTC 2005

I feel silly for asking, but how do I get thin clients to work?

The whole network boot thing is still new to me. I think it would be
very helpful to include a diagram like these folks have:
	http://k12ltsp.org/contents.html
and explain the concept. Nowhere on the edubuntu website does it give
an layman's (or even technical) explanation of a typical setup. When
most people hear "computer" they think workstation. The installation
documentation assumes you know what an "Edubuntu LTSP server" is. I
looked up LTSP on my own, and found http://k12ltsp.org/ That's what
first made me realize what's going on. Genius!
Now if only that was explained on the edubuntu site, or at least linked
to other pages that explain the concept.

But I still don't know what's expected from a thin client. I finished
working on the DNS problems on the LTSP server last night. Tonight
after I finished working out hardware issues on workstations, I went
back to working on the LTSP setup.
I understand Edubuntu's LTSP diverges significantly from k12ltsp.
k12ltsp expects you to have two network cards. I tried an installation
of that initially, but dropped it after noticing a line on the bottom
of the installation page:
	"If you want to run your server with two network cards..."
and realized I didn't HAVE to have two network cards.

 From k12ltsp.org, I figured I could get a working computer, unplug its
hard drive, turn on network boot, and things should go. It gets as far
as telling me its MAC address. I worked out the IP of the intended
client from pinging around the tiny network at my house, and found it
was 192.168.0.5. I remembered the default range on the LTSP's
/etc/ltsp/dhcp.conf was .20, so I changed it to .4 and typed
	sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart

That went fine, but I get the same problem on the intended client.

What am I missing here? I normally would try to dig around for more
documentation, but I noticed in an earlier post that k12ltsp should not
be used for reference.

Once I get this figured out, I'll be happy to contribute to the layman
audience documentation effort.

Oh, another documentation idea: a troubleshooting guide. The
installation is beautiful, in that it requires minimal user
interaction, but it's still possible for a user like myself to mess it
up. In my vision, it would have tips on figuring out the IP, or what to
do if you can't get on the internet (i.e. DNS problems).

Thanks in advance.

-Josiah